Thursday, February 11, 2010

Marie Joy, My Joy


Our tiniest transplant to the orphanage was a little girl named Marie Joy. She was hilarious. Not sure of her age, but I'd say infant-ish. But as the days went by we realized she could walk on her own, eat on her own, drink on her own. A sophisticated young lady. I don't have a "story" per se about my interactions with Marie Joy. And the only history I got on her was that she fell into a cooking fire during the earthquake and burned her hand and arm. But by the time she arrived at the orphanage, she was mostly healed and just carried on life as a little whipper-snapper. So, for her tribute-- a photo essay: Marie Joy in pictures. She always brought a smile to my face each time I saw her. And in case you can't tell from the pics, she was popular! :)
With Hannah from our Visiting Orphans Team.
Just being sassy at the lunch table.
With Karis, one of the staff at the orphanage.
With Maya, another volunteer who came down on a one-way ticket.
With Maria from our Visiting Orphans team.
Her special look...
Realizing she runs the show!
On the bus as she arrived at the orphange.

2 comments:

constance said...

thank you so much for sharing these precious childrens' stories with us. i'm praying for them.

Maria y Manuel said...

haha that picture of marie joy & I cracks me up! my husband said it looks like I am messing around, I guess I sort of was. I love reading your posts, it was such a pleasure to meet you and hope to get to know you even more through the years ;)
w/love,
Maria