Thursday, February 25, 2010

How to Buy a Child in 10 Hours

Below is an excerpt (a small excerpt) from a horrific news story ABC ran back in October that I just stumbled on... I can only imagine how this continues to play out in Haiti post-earthquake. We live in a broken and evil world.

...

"I'm a little nervous." I say. "I just want to make sure that this is OK, that I'm not going to get in trouble, that this will be smooth, that you've done this before."

"I guarantee my service," says the trafficker, grinning. "I can get you your girl as early as tomorrow."

And now, the negotiation begins.

"So how much will it cost me to get a child?" I ask.

"The last one I gave was $300."

Trying to test the value of human life, I push a little.

"I have a friend who got one for $50."

"No," he says.

"What about $100?"

"$150," he offers.

I accept.

And there it is. It's about 5 p.m. Roughly 10 hours after leaving my office in New York City, I have successfully negotiated to buy another human being -- an 11-year-old girl, whose value is set at just $150.

...
Click here to read the full article.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Thanks for sharing!