Thursday, February 11, 2010

Boy in a Body Cast

The day we walked into the orphanage in Haiti, the first kid I saw was a young boy (maybe 6?) propped up on a bench under a tree in a lower body cast. He was alone, although there were Haitians near by. He looked sad. His left arm had been amputated at the shoulder and was healing. His legs were not only casted but also had a large bar stretched between his two legs keeping them spread apart. And a 6 inch hole was left open where he could still urinate & defecate. And there was nothing covering this exposed area, and because of his cast & immobility, there was nothing he could do about it.
I walked straight over to him and just sat down. I wanted to comfort this sweet boy. I wasn't trying to smile or tickle or cheer him up. I just wanted to be present and share peace. As I sat there, I noticed little tears just kept pouring out of his eyes. He wasn't making any noise, other than some sporadic, quiet whimpers. Yet tears just kept falling from his little face. He had a dirty towel that he used to wipe away his tears. It broke my heart.

Over the course of the week, I made sure to visit this boy regularly. I learned that his mother had come with him and was also staying at the orphanage (a joyous gift in an otherwise horrible situation). She cared for him & loved him-- I could see it in her eyes! And he was in LOVE with her. She was his joy when it surfaced. Time was also crucial to seeing this boy improve. By the end of my stay, he was smiling, giggling, and engaging with others. Love was nursing him back. The love of Christ, demonstrated in all the staff & visitors, the love of Christ seen in his mother's care for him. Christ is seeing him through.
Pray for this boy... Lunech (sp?) is his name. They ran xrays and found that his femur was broken- and although casted, not surgical repaired correctly. He will have uneven legs and a limp. His amputation wound was healing nicely and they removed his bandage on my final day. Pray for his healing. Pray for his comfort. Pray for Christ to reveal Himself to this little boy. May Christ be His peace in such a traumatic season of his young life.

1 comment:

Tray said...

Wow.....I don't know what to say.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Praying for Lunech and the "story telling" boy....breaks my heart. Thanks for speaking truth to those little boys.
I'll look forward to any other little glimpses you give us.