Thursday, April 9, 2009

Turkish Delights

Everytime I have seen the famous Turkish candy called "Turkish Delights," I admit, I've been afraid. My first time in Turkey, I refused to try them. What were they? Strange, scary, squares of WHAT?

Then my Turkish friend here in Austin had a baby and I went to see her in the hospital. I walk in the room and immediately had a box of Turkish Delights shoved in my face. "This is how we celebrate!" they told me. I was backed in a corner. My cross-cultural friendship meant more to me than my fear of this "thing". So, I tried one. And it turned out to be really good. It's basically like a soft gummy bear type thing covered in either powdered-sugar or coconut flakes. Some have nuts, and some are just solid jelly-ish.

On my recent trip to Turkey, I was walking through the spice market shopping. A man selling Turkish Delights began to call after us, saying:

"Get your Turkish Delights here! Famous Turkish Delights!
They'll make you...
(he paused, fumbling for the best pitch),
they'll make you...
(still thinking),
well, let's be honest-- they'll make you fat!"


I laughed out loud. Gotta love his effort!

No comments: