Sunday, May 3, 2009

Funny Cities Across the Globe

Andy and I have a map of the world shower curtain liner. It helps us remember to pray that Christ would complete the task of redeeming people from all the nations. But sometimes while I'm in the shower and not praying, then I start scanning over the map looking at all the city names and countries. Today, I've decided to list out some of the more funny names I've come across. Just for fun...
  • Murmansk, Russia (this one always makes me laugh because I think of Ben Stiller in Zoolander saying "merman, not mermaid... merMAN!")
  • Flin Flon, Canada (really? Flin Flon)
  • Porto Alegro, Brazil (in spanish, I think this means Happy Port, even though they don't speak spanish in Brazil)
  • Gympie, Australia (which I often sing in my head to the tune of the old Hefty Trash Bag commercial tune: gympie, gympie, gympie... hefty, hefty, hefty.)
  • Perm, Russia (When I read this one I always say to myself "Big Perm", like in the movie Friday, but because it is written in a larger font-- must be a big city. And I think this is a city required hairstyle too)
  • Dawson Creek, Canada (that's right: there really was an actual Dawson's Creek)
  • Concepcion, Chile (as in tot)
  • Archangelsk, Russia (there must have been some spiritual history in that town)
  • Labrador City, Canada (where i guess the dog orginated from??)
  • Cork, Ireland (wikipedia says people from this town are called "Corkonians")
  • Woy Woy, Australia (I've actually BEEN here, it is a small beach town outside Sydney where we had dinner in the home of a famous Aussie musician)
  • Christchurch, New Zealand (random link provided for further info)
  • Circle, Alaska (borrrrr-ing!)
  • Espirito Santo, Brazil (Holy Spirit, Brazil... again in spanish, not portuguese)
  • and finally, there really is a TIMBUKTU, Mali!

6 comments:

ASuh said...

Um . . . I love that you actually took a picture of your shower curtain :)

Good Samaritan School said...

you told me to always include a visual element if I could. i follow the rules! :)

Mindy said...

That was amazing. You just added to the ever growing list of places I want to visit. I will one day send you a post card from Gympie with a picture of a Hefty sack on the front.

Mindy said...

Oh and I began the application process a couple of years ago for a YWAM DTS based in Christchurch. 3 months of studying in New Zealand followed by 3 months of pioneer church planting. Part of your tuition covered an around the world plane ticket good for a year. Sweet. Even got far enough for Halim to write the letter of rec from the church...but then I got scared of commitment...

Heather said...

I LOVE this shower curtain. Where did you find it? It would make a great geography lesson for the boys while in the shower.

Good Samaritan School said...

I got it at Target. Its technically a shower curtain (not a liner), but we put in on the inside as our liner with a regular curtain on the outside of the tub