Tuesday, March 3, 2009

God Grew Tired Of Us


After listening to the sermon last fall and seeing the video about refugees, I knew that the seeds which had already been planted in me were watered and fertilized. But then another piece of the puzzle fell into place. I was checking out movies at Blockbuster when the the cashier told me that I had a free rental from the "old movie aisles". So I went and browsed the Independent Film and Foreign Film sections (cuz Andy likes those) and saw the cover for "God Grew Tired of Us".

I had heard the title, heard it was good, but literally had NO IDEA what it was about. It was a Sundance Award Winner and the rest of the check-out line was waiting on my quick decision, so I grabbed it and ran. I didn't even bother to read the back cover before putting it in the DVD player and pressing PLAY. Check out the trailer here:

Oh--my--gosh--, it was so timely. And powerful! It was about Sudanese Refugees. It followed a group of men from the time of their exodus from Sudan, to their time living in a refugee camp in Africa, through their move & transition to America, and finally through the first 4 years of their lives here. It is incredible. It gave me a look into how people in the U.S. could help refugees adjust and get on their feet here. You have to rent this movie... it will stir your heart to care about these new neighbors here in America (and Austin).

2 comments:

Collins Family said...

weird - I had just added this movie to my netflix queue earlier today...now I am really excited to see it :)

Good Samaritan School said...

Adrianne, it seriously is amazing! You will LOVE it! It will break your heart for all that a refugee goes through... in their home country, in the camps, and even here on American soil! let me know what you think once you see it.