Sunday, March 8, 2009

Get to Know a Muslim Instead of Thinking You "Know" All About Them


I learned this lesson from a respected mentor and friend of mine, Joey Shaw. It is something I have to remember to put into practice... because our natural tendency is to stereotype & assume.

From a recent blog of his:

One of the major lessons that I try to get across when I teach about Islam to Christians is, “Never presume someone’s worldview or theology based on the faith system to which they claim to ascribe. Always first approach your Muslims friends not as “Muslims” but as individuals who have a unique worldview as well as perspective on their religion. Never presume your Muslim friend fits the mold of what you think is a ‘Muslim’”.

This, in reality, is a basic lesson of interpersonal effectiveness: each person is unique. Never place people in one of your conceptual boxes until you get to know them well.

To continue reading, click here.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Love your preface to Joey's article. This is was I am learning over and over in my own experience!