Saturday, January 17, 2009

Book Review: The Crescent Through the Eyes of the Cross

Last weekend, an Egyptian friend of mine was visiting Austin and he brought me a gift... the latest book from his mentor, Dr. Nabeel T. Jabbour called "The Crescent Through the Eyes of the Cross". Dr. Jabbour is an Arab Christian who was born in the Middle East and, as an adult, lived in Egypt (for 25 years) which is close to my heart, before he was kicked out and blacklisted by their government. After this, he moved to Colorado and took a job at The Navigators home office, overseeing all Middle Eastern programs.

My friend said that of all the books he's read on Christianity and its philosophy towards, strategy for, and relationship with Islam & Muslims, this was by far his favorite. He'd already read it three times since its recent release and was oozing with glowing remarks. So, after returning from our lunch, I sat down to read my new book... and I read... and read... and read... until I finished the last page with heavy eyes in the wee hours of the morning, 8 hours later. A first for me.

He was right. I couldn't put it down. What was different about this book, from others I've read on Islam & Christianity's response, was that it primarily sought to address WHY it is so difficult for Muslims to convert & get integrated into Christianity. Jabbour breaks it down into 3 main reasons (each with loads of detail in their arguement): 1) the message itself, 2) us, the messengers, and 3) the Muslim receiver of the message. I know that sounds broad, and it is, but then he goes on through the rest of the book to explain from a Muslim's point of view why each of these three things is a stumbling block for them to receive the gospel of Jesus Christ. He uses real conversations and real dialogues he's had with hundreds of Muslims over the long years of his life.

But of course, as a follower of Jesus, I want to share the hope and love I have in Christ with all my friends, Muslims included... so does this book just tell me why that will never happen? No. In fact, what it served to do in my head was give me a portal into Muslim worldview and how they see things completely differently. If I can seek to understand Muslims and how they view the world, then my methods of loving, serving, and sharing with them will ultimately change.

I plan to blog about some of the points that really hit home for me in a different post, so I can ellaborate and include excerpts from the book. So, for now, let me just say, this book will definately turn into one of my "top recommended resources" on the subject to all those who share my desire to know and love Muslims more.

The one thing I hated about this book was the title... why is it that every book about Christian-Muslim relations or study have to use the same 2 words: Crescent & Cross. I get it... they are the "symbols" for each religion, but each book has way more unique insights and points to make other than the broad statement (or really the totally non-defining statement) of the title. That, however, is my only beef with this book.

No comments: